Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Innocent Reflection

          I feel like the late evenings, into the night, and early hours of the morning are the times when my thoughts are deepest. But maybe it's not just me. When you're talking to someone, don't your most intense conversations happen at night? The heart to hearts where you spill your guts and you don't even think about it twice. The deepest topics come up and the conversation seems to flow. Am I the only one who feels like this?

          Music for a lot of people sends them deep into thought. Depending on the music and the mood, different thoughts come out. I am currently listening to Taylor Swift's album Red. I don't know the words to every song, much less the titles of the songs. But the classic relationship-breakup-meaningful-thought-provoking lyrics paired with the slow pace and strum of the guitar have my mind spinning.

          This assignment we currently have in English is all about reflection. When I'm in class I feel like my mind is moving so fast my thoughts can't keep up with themselves. My pen is constantly moving but the words on my paper don't make sense to anyone but me. I leave class and my wheels are still turning, but I need to focus on other classes or assignments.

          The time of night + music + the English assignment = deep thoughts. I can't remember the last time I had thoughts like these. Maybe you guys can't relate because guys don't think like girls do: with their emotions. But I have to think that there is some deep reflection that goes on in those brains of yours. Maybe society has made it unacceptable for guys in general to portray those emotions, and I think that's sad.

          There are just so many things that happen in life and reflection is never a phase or block of time scheduled. And maybe that's a good thing because then thoughts would be forced and not as valuable. These blogs are sneeky. It's like you can write anything you want and it seems like a place to vent. I'm sure you all as my readers have picked up on moods or personality traits. I just think it's interesting because I feel like I get to know you all by just reading and seeing the different topics you write about. I can be innocent or rebellious, or anything in-between. You just never know someone until you're inside their head.

3 comments:

  1. The late hours of the night are a good time to reflect, especially after a long day as a cadet. I think about what my day consisted of and what I actually did. Also, i agree that deep conversations happen during the night, I have no clue why, but I would agree 110%. These blogs do let us vent and talk about what is on our minds, which really helps when you think deep thoughts. I always wonder what goes on in other people's heads, it really intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. Late night conversations are the bomb. I've made some of my best friends by sacrificing sleep in order to learn more about them which I always find I learn about myself just as much as I learn about them. In the shower is another good reflective space for me at least, but take advantage of hanging out with your friends during the wee hours of the morning, it''s what you'll miss about college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty solid album, first off. I'm a Taylor Swift fan so I know where you're coming from but, at least when I listen to T Swift, I wouldn't say that I get emotional, but the words definitely make you think.

    ReplyDelete